2015-16 Education Series
Each year the North Country Council of Social Agencies' Board of Directors works diligently to bring pertinent education and training to agency leaders. Please join our sessions to explore the fundamentals of strong, effective, forward-thinking community organizations.
We are currently developing the programs for the 2015-2016 Series. Please stay tuned for another exciting slate of programs.
October 2015 Highlights
Here are a few important updates from the Council:
- Mark your calendars! On November 19th, 2015 at 8:00AM, we will host Sheriff Colleen O'Neill (Jefferson County), Chris McDonald and Meghan Clement (Credo), and Stephen Jennings (Jefferson County Public Health) as they present "Community Response to the Opiate Crisis" at the Italian American Club. The discussion will outline how multiple agencies in our community are collaborating to tackle the opiate crisis.
- Seize the opportunity! We have kicked off our 2015 "Annual Network Connection" which covers membership from January to December 2015. If you haven't received our 2015 Membership Application Form, you can download it by clicking HERE.
- We are very delighted and grateful that the Northern New York Community Foundation (NNYCF) is supporting our Caswell-Morgan Human Services Memorial Scholarship of the NCCSA. The scholarship application can be found by clicking HERE. Please note that the NNYCF will match the donations we receive throughout 2015, up to $2,500.00. Scholarship donations must be submitted by December 31, 2015 to qualify for the NNYCF match. Please support this impactful scholarship.
- Kudos to the team at the Mental Health Association in Jefferson County! They were recently awarded a $4,000 grant from the United Way of Northern NY. Read more about this wonderful achievement here.
- If you missed any of the programs this year, please check out our Presentations page to review a previous presentation.
- Many of you are writing grant applications or are searching for funding opportunities. Please take advantage of our region's North Country Health Compass for up-to-date data, best practices, and grant opportunities to support your work.
The Board of Directors wants to hear from you! Email us at
to share your feedback and any ideas you may have to help us improve our educational programs and bring you the information you need.
2015 Annual NCCSA Scholarship Awarded
The Board of Directors for the North Country Council of Social Agencies established the Caswell-Morgan Human Services Memorial Scholarship of the NCCSA in 2014 with the guidance of the Northern New York Community Foundation. The Board felt this was a meaningful way to support the success of local students pursuing a social science career path.
In order to qualify for the scholarship a student must be enrolled in full- or part-time studies in Jefferson or Lewis County, and be at least in their third year of study or junior year of college. Additionally, students who have completed a bachelor’s degree, and are working toward Master’s in human services will be considered. Preference will be given to students who have shown an effort to provide community service hours.
At the August 2015 Board of Directors meeting, Sara Tontarski was awarded the second annual scholarship. Sara is a graduate of Immaculate Heart Central (IHC) High School and SUNY Geneseo. She is currently enrolled in the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) School Psychology Program. Sara has worked at the Children's home of Jefferson County and is involved in several activities on-campus.
We are very proud of Sara and look forward to her impact on our community in the near future!
For photos of the previous recipients click here.